Floor not level, but tub is stable.....

Users who are viewing this thread

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I have been renovating a house for the past two years and now the details are biting me. I just finished up redoing all the drains and replacing all the copper with Pex. At one point I replaced the floor and managed to get a new cast iron tub up the steps (Kohler Villager 60 in. x 30.2 in. Soaking Bathtub). I picked up some Goboard to start preparing for my tiling journey and it was crooked as all hell when I set it on the tub flange. So, I popped a level on the tub and it and it is out about 3/8" to 1/2" over the length of the tub. Luckily the low side is where the drain is. I reviewed the Kohler install guide and basically I think the tub has four feet. The tub is stable and is quite the chore to move about, so I am not worried about any rocking or or movement with the tub. I think I just have some cosmetic issues...like the tile will need to be cut crooked (which I could do on the bottom course). I am using 22" tile, so that should not be too horrible to hide. Also, this is a rental, so if someone spots the 1/2" drop, so be it.

I think when I put the water in it, it all drains out without a problem. Its not like there is water standing in the tub after it is drained.

So, from a plumbing perspective is this an issue. I am thinking no, but I am not a plumber.

To get everything level I would have to shim up the floor and probably redo my overflow tube. The actual tub drain would probably be a PITA because everything is tight. I thought could just get a thicker drain shoe gasket. I think I saw one that was 3/8". If I cannot find a 1/2" I may only be able to shim to 3/8".

So, with all that said, I am probably in the camp to leave everything as is and cut some tile crooked. To shim the floor and redo the drains could take some time and possibly introduce more issues. Now if there is a major plumbing issue then I may rethink my position :).

So, is my problem just a cosmetic issue at this point or an actual plumbing problem. As it is now the tub holds water and does not leak. I used plumbers putty on the drain (I assume that is ok - or should it be silicon)?

Thanks....Mike

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Aside from it not being a 'plumbing' issue, what is it like at the low inside tub corner on the deck?
If you pour water there, does it drain completely?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Poor workmanship it sounds but none of us have to look at it beauty in the eye of the holder Im not a primodona but it sounds hack to me

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
Aside from it not being a 'plumbing' issue, what is it like at the low inside tub corner on the deck?
If you pour water there, does it drain completely?
Yes the tub drains completely.

Poor workmanship it sounds but none of us have to look at it beauty in the eye of the holder Im not a primodona but it sounds hack to me
OK. It's a 75 yr old house and I simply replaced the floor. Hindsight tells me smacking a level may have been wise, but I can shim the tub, so I may shim it a tad and put in a thicker drain shoe washer. I think the one I have now is just under an 1/8 of an inch and I think i saw a 3/8 washer. So if i shim the tub 1/4" i may be able to get things in better shape. I think I read I cannot stack the washers...maybe i can find a 1/2" one.

Thanks....Mike

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you could stack them . I dont recomend just gotta be careful on the putty too much aint any better than too little tighten spud should be ok especially if accessable below if its buried over finished area its a risk

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
I think you could stack them . I dont recomend just gotta be careful on the putty too much aint any better than too little tighten spud should be ok especially if accessable below if its buried over finished area its a risk

I ordered the thicker washer and I will see where that gets me. I could probably redo the drain, but I would hate to splice the existing line...Maybe I will luck out with the thicker washer and shims.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you can also scratch down into the floor on the opposite end where the feet are and grind into floor a bit along apron that way your new flooring will cover thus not havingb to raise end of tub where drain is as much. of cource this only applies if no finish flooring is already down . remodel its hard to guess (or rewmember) exactly all the details but hope all works out

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks