Float switch with a 300ft wire

Users who are viewing this thread

RANDY SCHMIDT

Reaction score
I have a 140' well pumping to a storage tank. The float switch is connected to a relay to engage the well pump. Right now they are within 10' of each other. I want to move the tank 300' away, up the hill so I can have some gravity feet to the house in the event of a power failure. Can the float switch & relay operate OK with 300' of wire between the two? I plan to use either 14ga or 12ga underground UF rated wire.

Reach4

Reaction score
120 volt or 240 volt relay? Should not be a problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have had problems with impedance between long strands of wire keeping the pump from shutting off. Switched to DC voltage to solve the problem.
Wasn't your problem run a lot longer than 300 ft?

RANDY SCHMIDT

Reaction score
Looks like its doable but I might need to switch to a DC relay if the pump doesn't turn off. I was actually more concerned that the resistance would not engage the relay. After looking at the wire chart looks like a 600' length of 14ga is about 2 ohms which should be OK.

i

Reach4

Reaction score
If you can twist the current-carrying power wires to the pump, they will couple less power to nearby wires.

Separation of relay wires from power wires helps too, of course.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks