Flippers

Users who are viewing this thread

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I get the drift that his show is in Canada. I was under the impression they had pretty strict contracting laws, at least in the "civilized" part, i.e. Ontario! I wonder if the TV show is paying for all the rework he does, which on some shows has been pretty major.

Yes the show is in Ontario but he's moving into the States as well he did a huge reno in LA and was on Ellen.

You have to get a permit to do most major work, but it's a hassle going down to the city office and getting the aproval and then getting it inspected.
So most of these guys don't get them or are not licenced and the homeowners don't know or checked to see if the permits are done.

The show pays for about 80-90% of the work as the homeowners usually at this point have no money left to get the work all redone.
Most of the contractors and suppliers will give at cost or free material and labour.
A lot of the time some of the money comes out of Mike's own pocket if they upgrade or find more problems than expected.

Any one here can call themselves a "Renovator or Contractor" and not be licened to do any work as most sub contract out to others and most of them are not licened either.

It's funny i only sell to Wholesale or retail store but i get a lot of calls from people wanting to buy from me.
I tell them i'm sorry i'm a master wholesale and do not deal with the public.
They say "No i'm a plumber" and i say sorry but i don't sell to plumbers and then they say "I'm a contractor" i say sorry but i don't seel to contractors then they say "but i do a lot of renovations, so i buy a lot" i say i on'y sell to Wholesale and retail stores and they say "I have a retail store".

So they went from Plumber to owning a large reatil store in 1 minute.
I investigate further and find they buy and flip houses.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Do they even make repairs? I thought it was "as is, where is".

If a home is deemed unoccupiable, local authorities won't allow the sale until it's brought up to code here.

Things like condemned buildings, or flips, wind up as vacant lots very often here until the bank decides to move on with the work.

Any situation where you have someone unfamiliar with real world physical labor or the difficulty level in actual installation often means trouble.
This is one of my gripes with engineers (no offense to you guys), but very often when you see things on paper it's extremely easy to underestimate the scope.
Banks do this alot, especially where it's already a loss, they want the cheapest regardless what corners are cut they just want it sold as quick as possible.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I get calls from real estate agents towards fall all the time. I throw out a jaw dropping $279 to winterize a home and they literally freak out!

Almost like they can't believe what I'm saying.

Plus $200 to turn it all back on in spring or whenever the house sells.

That antic should be enough to let them know one thing, DON'T call me back.

Flipping houses is the same as a car; I was a victim of this as I did a title search on a older vehicle I bought.

Stayed in possesion of one owner for a couple years, then it got transferred 4 times with the last "wash" of the title being a collision center.

Then it was sold to the dealership. Truck was rolled, that's why the windshield and rear window leaked months outside the initial warranty.

Other than that, it was one reliable truck and couldn't complain given the history of the vehicle.

On a house that has a lot of hiddens, I can see disaster from the go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks