Flange repair or replacement in concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

SunburnedinAZ

Reaction score
I could really use some input on options for this replacement or repair. I have some DIY experience on wood subfloor/cast iron flanges but as a new homeowner this combination is not one I am familiar with.

I moved a toilet out of the master bath to do some flooring. The existing floor is thin self-adhesive vinyl floor tiles.

The existing flange appears to ABS with an older steel ring that had crumbled away. The drain pipe is 3" ABS and I think the flange is 4" bonded to the outside. The old steel ring was not secured to the concrete in any way. So once bolted to the toilet, any movement by the toilet would have put the weight into the ABS lip of the flange. I am not sure of that was a common practice but I could certainly replicate it with a replacement ring. The flange sits up about about 3/8 to a 1/2 inch on each sides and is not level front to back.
  1. If I use a stainless steel replacement ring to fit around the old flange, should I leave it unsecured as it had been or secure it to the slab and leave the flange funnel raised up over it?
  2. Or should I try and cut away the existing flange and replace it with a different outer mount that sits lower (on the new flooring)?
A lot of concrete material was removed around the flange already. This does not leave much area to drive screws into the concrete.

Any help would be very appreciated.
IMG_8217.JPG IMG_8219.JPG IMG_8221.JPG IMG_8223.JPG IMG_8224.JPG IMG_8203.JPG IMG_8220.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks