Fittings vs brazing

Users who are viewing this thread

RonL1

Reaction score
I've been reading about using fittings instead of brazing with nitrogen. Something like a rectorseal pro fit, or maybe a sharkbite ( I believe they make refrigerant fittings now)
Seems like a much easier way to connect the freon lines. Especially when replacing a coil.
Thoughts on this ? Just because brazing has been the standard, maybe this is the new way to go ?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
It is an easy way to make joints. I'm also a propress Streamline fan. I like new solutions.
New products are always slow uptake in the trades.

Fitter30

Reaction score
I'm old school silfos with either dynaflow or 15% silver solder. Nitrogen purge done right fittings are still shiny in and out. 1.5 - 2lb purge with tape over the end with a pinhole. Have use of propress tool? Think a saw push to connect fittings advertised also. It will interesting in the next few years where 410a will be gone and the different refrigerate are and will be replacing it. And if pipe sizes will be the same and can be flushed to remove any oil and not eat the o- rings their using in the press or push to connect fittings.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When I was a stationary engineer at

We brazed all copper TP lines and we had Absorbtion chillers run by utility steam.

I do not trust a joint on high pressure / high temperature dependent on a rubber O ring.

When I first started my plumbing career all piping was either brazed/ welded/ lead wiped threaded or caulked

Later on vitriolic came along and solder joints with lead then banned around in the 1970's

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks