FIP

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi,

This is for a RV outdoor shower.

I'm trying to connect #1 and #2 in the picture on the right. The 1/2 FIP to 1/2 FIP end fitting is slightly different in the middle (shown in the black circle) then the OEM hose (shown on the left)

When I use the connector in the middle picture I get no water flow. I'm guessing the brass part where the water flows from (on the end) is blocked by the center piece circled in yellow (picture 2) resulting in no water flow.

Looking for suggestions.

I found a 1/2" male to 1/2" female pipe nipple extension but it says NPS thread. Is NPS the same as FIP? Will it seal?

thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-06 193705 rev1.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-06 193705 rev1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot 2023-07-06 174528.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-06 174528.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot 2023-07-06 174241.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-06 174241.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 61

Reach4

Reaction score
FIP usually implies FPT (tapered).

NPS is straight thread, and uses a gasket that hits the end of the pipe for the seal.

They have the same thread pitch, but compatibility is variable. The nipples on a WH accept NPS connectors as your pictures show. But they also take NPT connections. I don't have a broad straight answer.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
try a hand held shower hose one side or both needs a flat washer in the bottom. i think both sides are straight thread

Reaction score
Can I drill or cut out a small pice of the center "spider" in yellow. (right picture #2) What purpose does it serve?

Thank you

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
it might be just to hold washer in place or to keep hose from blowing apart Ive never modified the hose

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can I drill or cut out a small pice of the center "spider" in yellow. (right picture #2) What purpose does it serve?

Thank you
Before anyone can answer that question, it would be good to know what the item is that the threads are connected to.

It looks to me like that piece in the center of the threads is likely a check valve or a flow restrictor. So drilling it out may have consequences upstream.

Will one end of the hose fit both threads or will either end not fit one end? Which part is the problem. Both of the threads look like typical 1/2 pipe thread, but the bolted one looks like it has a taper (which should still accept and seal with a supply tube end)

Reaction score
Before anyone can answer that question, it would be good to know what the item is that the threads are connected to.

It looks to me like that piece in the center of the threads is likely a check valve or a flow restrictor. So drilling it out may have consequences upstream.

Will one end of the hose fit both threads or will either end not fit one end? Which part is the problem. Both of the threads look like typical 1/2 pipe thread, but the bolted one looks like it has a taper (which should still accept and seal with a supply tube end)

The problem is, the threads seem to fit correctly on the replacment hose (center picture). But when I screw the end shown in the middle picture tight, the flows stops. If I back it off a bit, the flow begins. I'm thinking the part circled in black (middle picture) presses against the "spider" ( end #2).

The hose end in the left picture (white and flat) is what was orignally there, but I can't find a new hose with that on both ends.

Shower hoses look seem like they have the end I need, but are way longer than I needed.

I found a short fitting to couple both ends, but it says NPS threads and i'm not sure if it will leak (does it need a sealing surface)

Thank you

Eman85

Reaction score
Is that piece in the middle of the 3rd pic a check valve? What if you made your own adapter with 2 fittings and a piece of PEX?

Eman85

Reaction score
Still doing the double post thing, says error all in red print then when you post you get 2 for the price of one and no delete option.

Reaction score
Is that piece in the middle of the 3rd pic a check valve? What if you made your own adapter with 2 fittings and a piece of PEX?
I'm not sure..that is what is interfering (with the brass piece) in the 1/2 FIP to 1/2 FIP hose shown in the middle picture.

When I make a tight connection, I get no water flow. When I back it off, the water begins to flow.

I'm wondering if this fitting will seal on both ends (and if the threads are the same). That is what I'm not sure about.

Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks