Finding my well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom E

Reaction score
I bought my house in 1984. The house was built in 1970. The well is shared with the house next door and we both have our own in home jet pumps. I never knew exactly where the well was and it doesn't have an above ground cap. The neighbor is in a nursing home and no one lives there right now so I can't ask him if he knows. There is no problem right now except that I am in the process of replacing my 44 year old jet pump. Because of the age of the well I would like to find out where it is just in case. How can I go about doing this?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Metal pipes can be traced back with a metal detector. Plastic pipe you may need to feed a wire through to find with a detector, or just start digging. :)

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
When I need to trace plastic pipes I use a 200’ wire snake and a wire locator. Regular metal detectors won’t work if it is deep. You can probably rent a locator from electrical supply house or irrigation supply house. Also if you think it is a steel casing a Ferro-magnetic locator works very well for finding metal objects buried vertically

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Find out who has lived in your hood for a long time and is somewhat Mechanical. They may remember the well driller Co. then call them.

Reach4

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/fleck-5600-twin-1054-tanks-and-chlorine-injection-valve-leak-media-replace.82624/page-2#post-595812 says

NJ attempted to digitize well records. you can search various ways here:
https://www13.state.nj.us/DataMiner...ategory=y&catName=Water+Supply+and+Geoscience
can search by well driller, when well was drilled, location of well,etc. my well was drilled at about the same time and I was able to locate the record (I think) based on the location with no other records being close in proximity and the timeframe being correct​

If you cannot find the info yourself, https://www.state.nj.us/dep/watersupply/pw_permit.html has links where they offer to search for $10.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Can't make it work for me. But I have dug where I was told and some people can do that very well.

Every time I've tried it with bent wires I ended up finding the power lines instead (usually over my head, not exactly where I was looking. :) )

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks