Faint Sewer Smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Sincraft

Reaction score
I would have already called a plumber that will guarantee the stink away. Good luck finding one. I've already called about mine, but in my area they are busy with new construction adn dont want to be bothered with littler jobs , thus I have to do all the stuff myself.

I would seriously think that it is NO LONGEr your wax ring, although after hearing that you removed the toilet after placing it down, leads me to believe (no offense) that maybe you did smoething else wrong. You must read directions my friend! On the wax ring box, it strictly says NEVER remove the toilet adn reseat, you must replace the wax ring.

ALSO YOU CAN NOT PUT THE TOILET DOWN AT AN ANGLE. YOU MUST put the toilet down completely level like you are lowering it from a crane. (a plumber told me that much, he's pretty good but far far away).

So, what else. I would seriously think it might be something else. In fact, I have a sewage smell in my basement that I thought was associated to my same issues as I thought mine might be to yours. I have a smell in my bathroom but am just at the beginning stages. What THIS smell turned out to be was a dried out trap in teh basement. Poured some water in and walla, it went away.

Now I have to find out what my problem is. my closet flange is pretty low below the finished floor (marble). I used a extender like you, and also a reinforced extended wax ring and may be looking at the fernco one now.

GL TO YOU!

DIY-JourneyMan

Reaction score
I don't know?!?!

I'm starting to think my wife likes to see me pull the toliet up:confused: Again I can't say I've smelled sewer gas. So I'm begining to wonder if my better half is having a bout with "post dramatic sewer smell disorder"! The last time I pulled the toliet this is what I did:
1) Cleaned toliet & closet flanges.
2) Installed "Jumbo" wax ring onto the closet flange.
3) Lowered toliet onto closet flange, maybe not perfectly strait, but not at an extreme angle either.
4) Cranked & trimmed down toliet bolts.
5) Caulked three sides of the base.

This is what I'm thinking about doing for the next time I pull the toliet:
A} Clean both flanges.
B} Paint the exposed subflooring.
C} Install a reinforced was ring on the toliet flange.
D} Install a regular wax ring on the closet flange.
E} Install a set of the plastic tabs that keep the toliet bolts from leaning.
F} Reinstall the toliet "Crane Style".
G} Caulk the three sides of the base leaving the rear uncaulked.

Or should I caulk it up to my wife messing with my head?

Thanks

Duan

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Here is my guess. Your wife is smelling something that she thinks is sewer gas but isn't.

Have you eliminated the odor as coming from the sink drain?

If this is a full bath have you eliminated the odor as coming from the tub / shower drain?

If the toilet is older have you tried pouring a cup of bleach in the toilet tank and bowl and let it sit over night just to eliminate it as a possible source?

DIY-JourneyMan

Reaction score
Thanks Cookie for the kind words. However the only thing that has changed in the bathroom is the position of the toliet (me moving it). I'm really starting to think its a past memory of the smell that sets her off into thinking she's smelling it again. I don't want to totally discount her, but it's not looking good for her claim.

Cass...I don't think the smell is coming from any other source. I've sniffed both the shower and sink drains, and short of soap they smell fine. I'm almost wondering if the smell got trapped into the rug that surrounds the toliet?

At any rate if I do pull this toliet up again I'll be replacing it with a Toto! As of this morning I've offically tired of this toliet!

Thanks,

Duan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks