Extra lip on old toilet flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

bigger_thumbs

Reaction score
I'm a beginner installing a toilet today as part of a remodel. Old floor tile came out and LVP was installed. I believe this is important due to slight change in finished floor height.

I don't know if this extra lip on the flange should be removed. It's a metal/iron of sorts and looks to be "one" with the flange. I poked at it a bit to see if I can break it free and it seems solid.

In my math/measurements, I do believe this raises the flange just a hair too high (5/8") off the finished floor but I'm not sure if I take a hammer/tools at it if I'll damage the flange and create a bigger and unnecessary problem.

Have you seen this before, and can I break it free without damaging the flange?

IMG_1062.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure what that "lip" is. If that is steel (magnet can tell), you probably are not going to remove it.

How much does that center bit stick up above floor level? Use a straight edge, perhaps supported on the ends to elevate the straight edge if necessary.
If 5/8, that probably fits under the new toilet. If too high, I am thinking a grinder could reduce the height enough to clear the toilet.

My first thought was that might be part of the old wax, and it would just lift out. But looking at the photo more, I am thinking that is probably not the case.

bigger_thumbs

Reaction score
I am not sure what that "lip" is. If that is steel (magnet can tell), you probably are not going to remove it.

How much does that center bit stick up above floor level? Use a straight edge, perhaps supported on the ends to elevate the straight edge if necessary.

My first thought was that might be part of the old wax, and it would just lift out. But looking at the photo more, I am thinking that is probably not the case.

Thanks for the response and taking a look. I took a screw driver to see if I could wedge it between the lip and flange and, while I didn't hammer/poke very hard, it didn't seem to have any wiggle room.

I measured with a method you indicated and that extra lip is something like 11/16" above the finished floor. It could be 5/8" but it looks like all of 5/8".

If this extra lip isn't a common thing, I'm tempted to just grind it off flush with the flange, the odds of creating a worse problem than what I already have is likely slim. Alternatively, I could end up with a height issue that I may or may not realize until I have a leak.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you throw a straight edge across the bottom of the new toilet, you could measure how much clearance there is. If you have 3/4 of clearance, then 11/16 is not a problem.

bigger_thumbs

Reaction score
If you throw a straight edge across the bottom of the new toilet, you could measure how much clearance there is. If you have 3/4 of clearance, then 11/16 is not a problem.
Agreed. However, the straight edge across the toilet indicates that hole is 100% flush with the bottom of the toilet. It took me a minute to realize that the exit hole on the toilet, raised, has an outer diameter of 3.5". This fits inside the floor plumbing so the measurement is from the base. I took a picture. You might be right. there might be just enough room for the seal to take hold and work.

IMG_1064.jpg

bigger_thumbs

Reaction score
I took a saw/grinder to it to level it. My best guess is that lip is a lead ring because the actual pipe was high and they didn't cut it of appropriately upon original install. Is it possible the flange went on the outside of the pipe?

Everything is level now and wax and new toilet should hopefully install without issue. Thanks again for taking a look.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is possible that the flange went outside of the flange. I presume you did not test with a magnet. But you could tell it was not cast iron, since you did not get sparks as you used the grinder.

I was thinking that porcelain horn under the toilet would have inserted into the pipe, but maybe not.

Congratulations on the success.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kinda late but a little lead dust cant hurt anybody as long as you dont put it in water and drink it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks