epoxy coating to repair copper water pipe leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Cjccmc

Reaction score
My cold water supply line goes from 63 to 40 psi in 10 minutes so pretty sure there is a leak. House is a two story on a slab and I have light moisture damage to brick fireplace hearth and wood floor planks that butt to it on ground floor.

Having a free leak detection done by a reputable company tomorrow and I know from their website that they typically recommend epoxy coating or pex re-pipe instead of busting out the slab for leak repairs.

What is the current opinion on epoxy coating as a permanent repair? I know the early ones had lots of skeptics but is the current technology better to the point of making it a viable option?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I ve done both busted hole in slab repaired leak , or replaced a section overhead and abandon the one line thats underground , ran a new hot only another way or full repipe

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
cjccmc, Me to Id be interested to hear any details and happy to give opinion or learn from your report back from your plumbing company its definately a specialty , not just the epoxy but , slab leaks are a specialty just in finding them many of us hire out the leak detection.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by that symptom.
it means he put a guage on it and turned the water off and the pressure dropped? Seems reasonable to expect it to drop but to me what is unknown is how bad is that ? other than that number 63 to 40 psi yes it equalls 23 psi drop but no indication for me to calculate possible damage or gallons a day / month usage leaking. leaks underground arent a good thing though

Reach4

Reaction score
Unless there is a pressure tank, that kind of test could result in weird results, including an increase in pressure due to thermal expansion.

If there is a water meter, OP should be using the leak detection indicator on that meter. I presume city water.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't seen epoxy done in over a decade here in the Seattle area.. last job I was involved in the crew abandoned their equipment and drove themselves back to LA leaving a church in the lurch. Other larger projects as Breplum mentions, they sandblast the entire piping system (if galvanized), patch any leaks they create (where we plumbers come into play) then fill the system with epoxy til a crust hardens up then blow the remainder out while its still gooey.

The downside is that you can never remodel that system. Only the stubouts may be changed without voiding the warranty. From my experience.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless there is a pressure tank, that kind of test could result in weird results, including an increase in pressure due to thermal expansion.

If there is a water meter, OP should be using the leak detection indicator on that meter. I presume city water.
Well if youy think he had another reason to do what he did I cant think of one He also mentioned a company was scheduled today to come look for a leak . I agree his test probebly not a good test.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks