DW shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a neighbor who lives above me who will be away for a month. They want to shut off their domestic water supply with the shut off valve. I am thinking that is ok but want the experts opinion if that is ok. They did not want a water issue when they are away.

Thanks for the assistance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If they have an electric water heater, turn off the breakers first.
If it's gas, you can either turn off the gas or turn down to vacation. If you turn off the gas, it will need to be re-lite when they come back.

Reaction score
ooops my apologies. The neighbor is concerned about water issues for me and the building. We have another neighbor on the top of the building already had water heater leak that had water run down to all floors. his concern he is gone for a long time and did not want a water issue for anybody. Is there an alternative to shutting off the DW and if not will that valve can shut the water off for an extended period of time?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is no standard for how water is supplied to various tenants or owners in a building. Some units may have one shutoff that controls everything in their unit. That shutoff could be in each unit, or possibly down the hall (if there is one!), or in the basement. Some may not have an individual unit shutoff. If there isn't a unit shutoff, they usually will put individual shutoffs for each fixture. In a big emergency, there is typically a building shutoff, but not something that is applicable to this situation.

WIthout being there, can't say what would be best. If they were worried about just the dishwasher, that often gets supplied from underneath the kitchen sink, and may have an individual shutoff or be combined with the hot water for the sink.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for reply. Each unit has a seperate shut off for all domestic water to their unit. The building itself has a shutoff also. Quick question the Unit using their shut off valve will that be ok keeping it off for a month? Thanks.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Shut off the main valve and also the water heater as suggested. I would recommend leaving the kitchen sink faucet open slightly to allow pressure buildup in the lines to be vented. Cold water will expand when becoming warmer so the one open faucet will allow a safe location for that expansion to be relieved.