Drop in sink clips - nothing to grab onto in the front

Users who are viewing this thread

Marzec

Reaction score
I'm installing a new Moen drop in sink. The countertop has been cut out according to the instructions. The issue is that there is no place in the front where the clips can grab onto (see photo). After cutting, the countertop just so happens to be flush with the cabinet top rail in the front. There is no issue along the sides or back (see photo).

Is the solution to buy a few longer clips for the front and bite into the cabinet rail or chisel out some material from the bottom layer of countertop at the clip locations? Or something else?

Attachments

• PXL_20230914_220104480.jpg
    PXL_20230914_220104480.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20230914_220158569~2.jpg
    PXL_20230914_220158569~2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 81

Marzec

Reaction score
I ended up cutting and chiseling out the bottom layer of countertop in 3 spots, the spots where the clips would grab onto in the front. Additionally, I had to cut down the clip bolts to about 2/3 the size in order to maneuver them into position and allow enough clearance for the nut tightening tool. Finally I had to notch out part of the cabinet support rail in those spots to allow sufficient clearance for the tightening tool. With this style of cabinet, the cut out countertop just so happened to land flush with the cabinet inner support rail. To be honest, I don't see how this isn't an issue with most laminated countertops and cabinets. It seems this would happen a lot. It's not like there was much extra space in front or back to shift the sink in either direction.

Marzec

Reaction score
Ive taken a drill bit and drilled int the side of sink opening to get a spot for clips to grab
I sort of did that as well. I notched it out using an oscillating tool and then used a 5/16 spade bit to clear out some material. I then used a small chisel to clear out the rest.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a router, I think you could cut a slot before dropping the sink in.

A multi-tool "slot cutter" seemed like an interesting name for a tool, but the ones that I saw made a hole big enough for an electrical box.

A biscuit joiner seemed interesting, but the slot would be too narrow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks