Dripping tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

HotHat

Reaction score
I replaced a broken diverter spout a few weeks ago, and it went great. But two weeks ago—about 3 weeks after the replacement—it started dripping. First, it dripped longer and longer after baths and showers, but that’s increased to a constant, rapid drip, day and night.

I’d read it could be caused by not using enough thread tape, so yesterday I took it all apart to redo the tape, and found the pipe/nipple itself had a constant flow of water when I removed the spout. Water was off, and pressure relieved throughout the house as when I did it originally, but the first time, the pipe was dry.

Since it’s just dripping from the tip and no water is in the wall, I put the spout back on so we can keep using it.

So first, how could water be coming out in the tub when all the water in the house was off?

And where might the problem be? Did replacing the spout break something else? I’m a novice, so is it something I can still fix myself?

Specs: 1/2” iron threaded pipe, simple diverter spout replaced with the same type

https://www.us.kohler.com/us//productDetail/tub-spout/637981.htm

Reach4

Reaction score
The problem is not the diverter, but rather is a problem with the valve(s). If old 2-knob type, replace the seat(s) and washer(s).

If it is a single knob on-off, you would possibly repair, or, more likely, replace the cartridge.

HotHat

Reaction score
Thanks, I’m glad that’s it—even I can figure that out, with enough youtube research.

Curious: do you think it’s just a coincidence this started so soon after the spout replacement? We’ve been in this house 21 years with no tub issues, so it seems odd.

Reach4

Reaction score
Curious: do you think it’s just a coincidence this started so soon after the spout replacement? We’ve been in this house 21 years with no tub issues, so it seems odd.
I think so. Maybe wiggling pipes could have had an effect, but I would lean toward coincidence.

HotHat

Reaction score
I think so. Maybe wiggling pipes could have had an effect, but I would lean toward coincidence.

Follow up: turns out, my faucets have the rubber seats with springs, and one seat won’t come out of the pipe. Any suggestions for removing it?

I’ve tried 2 sizes of needlenose pliars, then an allen wrench and a couple of screwdrivers to try to pry it from the center of the hole, and it won’t budge. it sits about 1.5” behind the wall, so not much fits.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a closeup photo of the one that did come out.

Rubber things in faucet valves are usually called washers, and seats are usually metal. But the springs in valves, I am not familiar with.

A hook and pick set might be what you would want, but you might need something stronger or special.
milwaukee-specialty-hand-tools-48-22-9215-64_145.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks