Drain question re: new shower surround install

Users who are viewing this thread

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
I plan on replacing the old tiled shower (no bathtub) in our second bath with a shower surround kit. The drain in the current shower is slightly offset to the right, rather than centered in the middle of the shower floor. I notice that most of the shower "kits" have the hole already cut out in the floor panel and usually off-centered as well. I figure that the odds of the drain hole in the new shower surround aligning with the current drain are prabably a million to one.

My question is this: How is this handled during installation? I see lots of dollar signs if the plumber has to cut up the concrete slab just to move the current drain a few inches in order to align with the hole in the new shower floor panel. Inevitably, is this what I should expect to happen? Just trying to plan ahead so I can plan for extra expenses. Tks for anyone's input.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Unless you're going with a mud set shower pan where you can put the drain anywhere you want, the preformed pans require you to locate the drain where they want it.
Almost always, on a new tub or shower install, we wind up replacing the p-trap. Concrete will tap out with a sledge hammer.

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
Unless you're going with a mud set shower pan where you can put the drain anywhere you want, the preformed pans require you to locate the drain where they want it.
Almost always, on a new tub or shower install, we wind up replacing the p-trap. Concrete will tap out with a sledge hammer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks