Drain Appears to Be Too High for New Sink - Question about Moving Sanitary Tee

Users who are viewing this thread

Cai24

Reaction score
I’m not sure why I didn’t notice this before, but it appears that my drain will be too high for our new sink. It’s 20” from the floor. The new sink has a depth of 9 5/8”, and we want to add a garbage disposal. I’m thinking of dropping the drain to about 15”. I don’t have extensive plumbing experience, but I have done minor repairs. Can anyone help me with the general process? My understanding is that I will need to cut an access in the wall. I believe my drain runs vertically. From there, I would cut from the top of the sanitary tee down to where I want to locate the new drain. I then install the new sanitary tee with ABS cement and use a coupling/new pipe to close the gap. Does this sound right? What is the best way to cut the ABS? Should I use a sawzall? Will there be enough give in the ABS to allow me to get a coupling and new pipe installed? I appreciate any help.

Wrenched

In the Trades
Reaction score
Show us some pictures and maybe a dimensioned sketch, and we can give you our opinion on a best course of action.

The process with ABS is mostly like you described: cut out a section of pipe with a hack saw or sawzall, clean/ream the pipe, install a new section of pipe. Solvent weld(glue) where you can, use banded/rubber couplings where you can't. Make sure the pipes are secure before you cut. It also depends a lot upon what's going on inside the wall. The size of the pipe, the trap arm length, the quality of the access, and any adjacent fittings all play a role is planning.

FWIW, disposals aren't great.

Either way, let us know how it goes.