Can't stop sink tailpiece from wobbling with 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 reducing washer

Users who are viewing this thread

MrHappy

Reaction score
I have a 1-1/4 tubular tailpiece coming from a new sink. I have a 1-1/2 sch 40 drain and was planning on converting immediately to 1-1/2 tubular with the tailpiece extender. However, I'm not sure if the reducing washer isn't fitting correctly? It is hand tightened as much as possible and it still wobbles significantly. Moving straight up/down is possible with force, but the wobbles side to side happen with hardly any force at all.

Do i just need to be using a different washer? Or does it always wobble this much when switching pipe sizes? The washer is the one found in this pack: https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...g-washer-set/pp965/p-1444450916849-c-9416.htm

Here is a video of the wobble in action (it wouldn't let me post a gif here i think):

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't see that as a problem, although your wide wiggling could have stretched out the washer. Put a bucket/tub under there. Plug the bottom of the tailpiece adapter, perhaps with a hand. Add water to the sink. Check for a leak; no leak, no problem. Tiny leak, maybe still not a problem.. It may take two people to do this test.

MrHappy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance!

I hooked it all up and even though it's still a little wobbly there doesn't appear to be any leaks.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose if you could find a 1 1/4 " inch tail piece extention it might not wiggle as much but that is a relatively standard installation p trap a little higher would be nice but no biggie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks