Do I have a leak on my heat exchanger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom walsh

Reaction score
i have a gb-142 that I maintain, or try to because no one around me will touch it. Not even the installer, but that’s another story.
Recently I noticed a wet spot on the floor. Found water dripping from outside the case way up in the back where it mounts to the wall. Someone told me the exchanger was leaking. If that was true wouldn’t it be in the case and dripping into my condensate collector? I’m talking about the aluminum case that surrounds the heat fins.

Started when it got really cold. Only drips when the boiler shuts down as far as I can see. Pressure is still up.
Figure maybe exhaust condensation is freezing in the flue pipe and flowing back down and getting hung up by something and leaking somewhere back there. Does that sound slightly logical?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
You're right that the leak water would likely end up in the condensate collector if the HX were leaking. Turn off the isolating valve ahead of the system's auto-fill valve, see if the system loses pressure over a few days. If it doesn't lose pressure, it's not leaking.

Another possible (even likely) scenario that shows up more often during very-cold weather is condensation of boiler-room air on the exterior of the combustion air intake ducting.

Test the acidity of the drip water (or taste it, for a quick check). Natural gas and propane exhaust is somewhat acid, and distinctly tangy, and would be an indication that it's exhaust condensate, not leak water, and not room-air water condensing on the intake duct.

Tom walsh

Reaction score
You're right that the leak water would likely end up in the condensate collector if the HX were leaking. Turn off the isolating valve ahead of the system's auto-fill valve, see if the system loses pressure over a few days. If it doesn't lose pressure, it's not leaking.

Another possible (even likely) scenario that shows up more often during very-cold weather is condensation of boiler-room air on the exterior of the combustion air intake ducting.

Test the acidity of the drip water (or taste it, for a quick check). Natural gas and propane exhaust is somewhat acid, and distinctly tangy, and would be an indication that it's exhaust condensate, not leak water, and not room-air water condensing on the intake duct.
Thanks Dana. I will have to check that out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks