do I have a closed system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pman6

Reaction score
if i shut off the cold water supply valve at the water heater, but not the main shutoff to the house, water flows back through the hot water supply into the water heater.

does this suggest I have an open system?

My current Rheem wh is 20 years old, never had an expansion tank.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Open System" refers to having a domestic water heater that also supplies heated water to radiators or in floor heating loops without a physical barrier between the two systems.

A "Cross Connection" refers to having a cold water pipe and a hot water pipe connected at a point after the water heater which allows water to pass between the two piping systems in an uncontrolled manner. Generally undesirable.

We have experienced cross over caused by sensor activated kitchen faucets that have a failed check valve in them. Or sometimes in a pressure balance shower valve where a shut off valve has been installed downstream of the mixing valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks