Do Anode Changes Extend Heater Life?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Replacing the anode rod is economical. I think many more people would do it if they understood the concept, and especially if they pre-loosened and taped. You wouldn't junk a car that had a bad spark plug. You can probably double or triple the life of the water heater, maybe more by replacing it the rod. That's a big savings in my book.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Replacing the anode rod is economical. I think many more people would do it if they understood the concept, and especially if they pre-loosened and taped. You wouldn't junk a car that had a bad spark plug. You can probably double or triple the life of the water heater, maybe more by replacing it the rod. That's a big savings in my book.

In theory you are correct sir..... but you are above the learning curve ... Most people I run into cannot change a roll of
toilet paper without possibly hurting themselves.... and I guarantee that they cannot change a spark plug or an anode rod without risking serious injury.....

If you have nothing better to do and are retired with time on your hands maybe its a good idea --
if you are competent and basically know your ass from a hole in the ground -------:rolleyes::rolleyes:-

their are many other factors that make a water heater burn out and die fast...
we installed a 2017 rheem electric heater that just started leaking last friday....

it has a thermal expansion tank on it...... it has soft water
but it does not have a prv valve,, but it still leaked after just 3 years...

I noticed that someone installed a water softener and used sharkbites to break into
the water system to install the unit... I know that sharkbite fittings work great but they
can actually break the grounding in the electrical system and cause troubles....

we determined that the grounding into the home might be the issue so
I drilled a hole in the basement floor and installed a copper ground and
clamped all the copper pipes nearby the heater in series and down to this
ground rod.....

They got a new heater under warranty.. here is a link to the new heater which you can see the
heavy copper wire grounded to the system and to the concrete floor

only time will tell what is going on in the home

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gqRrxjRCe9SdjoUA8

mark-wh-rheem.jpg

KC27

Reaction score
Here is what was left of the anode from my seven year old Bradford White heater. It is the original, I never changed it. After seeing this, I wish I had done the preventative maintenance and changed it. I understand tank failure is inevitable, but maybe I could have gotten three to five more years of service from this unit with anode changes.

bradford_white_anode_7_yrs.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you change it before it becomes exhausted, yes, it should help extend the life of the unit. But, deciding to do that without prepping things beforehand can be a major challenge. When new, they really get jammed in at the factory, and if you don't remove it before installation and reinsert it with a more reasonable torque, you may never get it out when you want to. I think if you used PTFE tape, you'd have a better chance of getting it out without major difficulties. THen, you run into the problem where there often isn't much room above the unit to get a new rod in. They do sell them that can be bent to overcome that issue.

KC27

Reaction score
A replacement heater was installed today. It has the hex head style anode vs the hot water nipple/anode style on my previous Bradford White. I'll break it free and re-tighten this week.

KC27

Reaction score
By the way, the plumber who installed the heater offered this advice on replacing anodes, and any other water heater maintenance. He feels anode replacement or tank maintenance does not yield enough added water heater life to justify the effort and cost. Same goes for regularly draining five gallons from tank to remove sediment or flushing the tank. He said skip maintenance, and consider water heaters as a consumable that will require replacement about every six or seven years.

JerryR

Reaction score
2 points of reference.

my main home has water heater installed in 2014. I replaced the anode at 18 months and it was about 20% depleted. I replaced it again last February after 4 years since last change. It was still maybe 20% depleted again.

My cabin has original Rheem 40 gallon electric water heater dated 07/2000. Original anode. On well water with a water softener and no sign of failure after almost 20 years. The only reason it’s being changed is insurance company requires water heaters to be less than 15 years old. I’ll pull the anode with my impact gun after it’s removed tomorrow and report back on its condition.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The life of the anode rod will depend on these things;
- the amount of water you put through it
- how hot the water is
- the water chemistry of that water
- the size and type of the anode material

Most water will have some minerals in it. As you heat it, some of those will be precipitated out of the water. That can do a couple of things:
- decrease the total volume in the actual tank
- act as an insulator, making the response time slower

Now, whether the tank itself will last, that sometimes is luck of the draw.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
By the way, the plumber who installed the heater offered this advice on replacing anodes, and any other water heater maintenance. He feels anode replacement or tank maintenance does not yield enough added water heater life to justify the effort and cost. Same goes for regularly draining five gallons from tank to remove sediment or flushing the tank. He said skip maintenance, and consider water heaters as a consumable that will require replacement about every six or seven years.

I imagine the new heater install is more economical for the installer, since it would be a larger installation charge, he is not paying the cost of the unit, and it's more predictable(no dealing with a stuck rod). Also, it might steer you in the direction of replacing your water heater when it becomes obsolete, instead of when you find your basement is full of water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks