DIY DWV Check for UPC Jurisdiction

Users who are viewing this thread

JT and the DOG

Reaction score
Hi Terry and Friends,

I'm extensively renovating a house from 1907. Planning and plumbing the DWV system has been the most difficult part because I live in a UPC jurisdiction. Someone out on the WWW referred to the UPC's venting requirements as "aggressive," and that phrasing stuck with me.

I believe I have successfully vented and drained the upstairs bathroom. Due to the awkward location of the stack with respect to the sink and shower, I chose to install a separate vent through the roof, rather than run a relief vent over to the vent on the waste stack.

jtanddog-01.jpg

jtanddog-02.jpg

jtanddog-03.jpg

jtanddog-04.jpg

jtanddog-05.jpg

jtanddog-06.jpg

jtanddog-07.jpg

Here's the rest of what I have planned:

jtanddog-08.jpg

This doesn't include the kitchen sink, which will be just on the other side of the wall from the lavatory in the first floor bathroom I just ran out of room on my paper).

Again, only the second story is completed. Before I get any further downstream, I'd like to make sure I'm on the right track for venting all of my fixtures.

Thanks in advance,

John

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your last diagram is confusing because you are using up and down the page both for vertical (for the stacks) and for horizontal (everything else).

The 2nd floor looks OK to me. Note that your WC is being wet vented via the lav, rather than by the stack, as it is joining the lav and shower before hitting the stack. So the lav drain starting at the san-tee needs to be 2". If you want the WC to be vented via the stack, it needs to join the stack separately from the lav and shower.

On the first floor, your WC is not vented. The simplest way to vent it may be to use the vented lav drain to wet vent it. That would require that the kitchen sink drain (not shown) be separately vented and join the stack separately from the WC and lav.

Your washer standpipe is not vented. You need to pull off a dry vent before the stack, bring it up the floor above, at least as high as 6" above the flood rim of the lav or kitchen sink, and then join that vent with the lav vent or kitchen sink. [Likewise the lav and kitchen sink vents can join at that elevation.]

Cheers, Wayne

JT and the DOG

Reaction score
Hi Wayne,

Thank you for the very thoughtful response. I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

You answered my real burning question: do lower items need to have relief vents installed, even though they are within six feet of the waste stack, which vents to the open air? Sounds like I need to change my plan to add those.

The Lav vent and drain are definitely 2".

Sorry about the bad drawing. Art has never been my forte. Anything diagonal is horizontal. Nonetheless, I'll work up another drawing without the upstairs bathroom to see if anyone would be kind enough to look it over.

Thanks again. Cheers!
John

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You answered my real burning question: do lower items need to have relief vents installed, even though they are within six feet of the waste stack, which vents to the open air? Sounds like I need to change my plan to add those.
A drain carrying drainage from a floor above can not be a vent; vertical wet venting is limited to the same story. [The IPC has an unusual exception to this, but the UPC does not.]

As to the drawing, if you want to represent all three dimensions, look up orthographic drawing. And it's simpler to show the pipe as a single line, maybe labeled by its size (or using different colors for size).

Cheers, Wayne

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Every floor is on it's on. Also wet venting when it's done, is same floor, bathroom fixtures only. The washer and the kitchen sink are not included in wet vents.

Venting from the first floor can revent at six inches above the flood level of the highest fixture. And then that vent can tie into the next floor at six inches above those flood levels.

dwv_b2.jpg

JT and the DOG

Reaction score
I had a consultation inspection today and I "passed." He said "everything looks good here."

I'm stoked! Thanks for your support!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks