Distance From Meter to Disconnect

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by TJanak, Jun 26, 2014.

1. TJanak

TJanak Member

I plan on building a new metal building in the same location after I tear down my current poorly constructed wooden shed. Right now there is a meter on a POCO pole with a small panel that has about 5 spaces (100 amp?) below the meter. The pole is within 2' of a wall on the current and future building. In the new shop I want to upgrade to 200 amp service. Do I need to have a disconnect on the pole below the meter or can I install an interior panel inside the building with 200 amp disconnect and the appropriate conductors in conduit from the meter, run along the outside of the building and enter through the wall at my interior panel? If so, is there a maximum distance or is it just based on conductor size?

Been a while since I've been on here so it's good to visit. Finished the house remodel a while back and now it's time for a shop.

Thanks,
    Travis
  2. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

A visit to your local power company and electrical inspectors office is the place to start this journey you are about to embark upon. Some places, like where I live, require a disconnect outside others allow them to be inside.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Here, the utility wants an exterior disconnect, at or near, the meter, so they can terminate power to the building without going inside.
  4. TJanak

TJanak Member

Stopped by and visited with my friendly co-op power provider. They said anything after the meter is my property and they don't care what I do with it or how I do it. They will come pull the meter when I ask and then come put it back in when I ask. (Dad used to pull his to replace main breaker, etc. but now with the wireless meter transmission they would know that I did it and frown upon it I'm sure). By the way, out of city limits so no codes there.

I guess I would just need to follow NEC guidelines then. Picked up a used 200 amp disconnect interior panel this afternoon for $60. Guess I need to read NEC.
  5. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

There may be no inspections, but the codes still apply... I miss Texas.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote: they would know that I did it and frown upon it I'm sure).

Here, they not only frown upon it, but they will slap you with a $10,000.00 fine.
  7. PatrickH

PatrickH New Member

May want to check with whether the current service drop is large enough to accommodate your new panel. If not then you could install a new meter on the outside wall of the building opposite your new panel and install a new point of attachment above the meter. Get rid of the meter on the pole arrangement all together! Or maybe even get rid of the pole!