Dishwasher only fills with water after running kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Moses Blumenstiel

Reaction score
If I leave my kitchen faucet idle for a couple hours and then I try to run my dishwasher it doesn't get any water. Once I turn on the faucet for a couple minutes the dishwasher runs fine. This seems to be the pattern so far, anyway. Is there any explanation for this? There is a water hammer arrestor on the supply line, if that matters.

hammer.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Weird. The problem is not the water hammer arrestor IMO.

I am thinking that maybe a solenoid valve sticks until a change in water pressure gives it just enough of a stimulus to activate. Or could it be an electrical connection that is marginal? Anyway, next time it happens, I would pound on the dishwasher with my fist to see if that causes it to start accepting water. I am not a pro, and I am not like "The Fonz" with my pounding.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Does the dishwasher have preheat for the water? It may be that it takes more time to preheat the water before filling if the faucet hasn't cleared out the cold first.
The hammer arrestor would not be the problem.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Does the dishwasher have preheat for the water? It may be that it takes more time to preheat the water before filling if the faucet hasn't cleared out the cold first.
I would think it would have to heat the water during or after filling. It would probably heat the water quietly perhaps making the OP think it is not getting water.

I always run the water at the sink until it runs hot so that the dishwasher doesn't have to heat it. I think it is cheaper to heat it with natural gas than electricity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks