Dishwasher leak, is it an air-gap issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

GlobalTerrain

Reaction score
Greetings, (my first post)

Trying to save some money and want to fix this myself, hope someone can help, thanks in advance.

The dishwasher came installed in my new home (8yrs ago), my earliest memory of trying to use it, it leaked onto the floor. There's just the two of us, so we only tried it every couple years, we thought we used the wrong detergent because it would bubble up onto the floor.

We are about to rent out the house, so I bought a new one, was about to try to install it myself when a neighbor said it is probably a clogged air-gap fitting. He suggested I disconnect the hoses and see if it is clogged.

Is this a waste of time, or is it possible?

I'm thinking better to replace the dishwasher (even though it looks new, the gaskets are probably going bad, true?), I can still return or resell the dishwasher, suggestions?

Thanks!
Tom

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A clogged line between the air gap and disposer or, dishwasher tailpiece would cause waste water to spill out of the air gap.

If water is spilling out of the door of the dishwasher it is either a seal problem or the level sensing is messed up. If you open the door while it is leaking how full is it? There should be a decent amount of freeboard to the opening.

Sounds like a visit from the appliance repair guy is in order.

GlobalTerrain

Reaction score
I'll check

From the diagram on your site (thanks Terry!), I see how it is most likely connected.

So to check this I need to detach the hose that goes to the garbage disposal and see if the plug has been removed?

I'll check it soon, thanks.

Tom