Different Types of 1/2" FIP Connections?

Users who are viewing this thread

Christopher Colby

Reaction score
I've gotten a bunch of good advice off this forum over the past few years, but just ran into a perplexing question that I can't find referenced online.
Was installing a new Moen bathroom faucet, and grabbed two braided faucet supply lines at Lowes - 3/8 compression to 1/2" FIP. The 1/2" FIP connection would not thread on to the faucet. Tried every trick I knew to make sure the threads were lining up, but could not get them to grab. Both sides of the connection we're definitely the same size, but something just wasn't matching up. I grabbed the old supplies off the previous faucet, and they threaded right on. I've attached a photo with the two supply lines side-by-side.
Am I missing something obvious, or are there different types of 1/2" FIP supplies?

For the record, I'm not a professional plumber, but in my work I get into a lot of light plumbing tasks. Chances are I'll run into this again, and I'd like to know what's going on here. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200313_134224061.jpg
    IMG_20200313_134224061.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 612

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As far as I have ever experienced, there is only ONE fip connector size, as is the faucet outlet, so I cannot imagine what problem you can be having.

Reach4

Reaction score
NPT and NPS I think have 14 threads per inch (TPI). You might get a thread gauge to help in your studies.

EDIT: The compression size thread pitch is a lot finer. That may be 28 TPI, but I am not sure.

If you press some modeling clay or soft wood into the threads to make an impression, you may be able to measure more easily.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Call Moen customer service.
A lot of the new faucets are made in China and if Moen doesn't solve your problem, install another faucet.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
That rubber washer on the new line looks pretty darn fat, it might be preventing the threaded nut
from meshing with the faucet threads. Can it be pulled out? Maybe that supply line was a return,
and the previous buyer stuck it in there for some reason. Customers are always returning damaged,
or modified goods to the big box stores, and the store just puts 'em right back on the shelves.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Faucet connections have EXACTLY THE SAME thread as a 1/2 pipe thread, regardless of what some have written. The only difference is that they are NOT tapered.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks