Deep Well Sand Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Walker1270

Reaction score
Advice needed to help with the amount of sand coming up from the well.

A little background

We have a 240ft artesian well that was installed in 1977 with a 2" pipe (I know that's a problem). Original flow rate was 60gpm. Over time that dropped to only 5-6gpm due to extensive drilling into water table. We were unable to find any submersible pump to fit so we ended up installing a jet pump. That has solved our pressure problem but caused a lot of sand to come up. We did replace the point on the well about three years ago and that helped a bit. Changing our whole house filter about once a week has reduced the sand amount to barely acceptable level. We have also discovered that running the outside taps overnight also helps decrease the amount of sand.

Ok but now - the amount of sand is uncontrollable and the water in the house is not usable. I swear there is more sand than water coming out the taps. The filter plugs up immediately upon running any water. Is there anything we can do (other than digging a new well) that might help this problem? One of our well companies suggested a holding tank where the sand can settle out, somebody else says install a spin down filter. We don't know what way to turn so any help/ideas is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
Read up on the the Lakos SandMaster.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There are lots of ways to filter sand. But having to filter sand means there is something wrong with the well. Either the well casing has a hole in it, the screen is too large, or something. Someone with local knowledge of wells in your area would be good if you can find someone like that.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
We have a 240ft artesian well that was installed in 1977 with a 2" pipe (I know that's a problem).
We did replace the point on the well about three years ago and that helped a bit.
I am confused. Is this a 2" casing, a 2" drop pipe in a larger casing, or a smaller drop pipe in a 2" casing? If it has a sand point on the end of a single 2" casing, how can you change it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks