Dayton Sump Pumps?

Users who are viewing this thread

loafer

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Are they junk?

I'm using a 3/4Hp, 110GPM model to drain an 18 gallon tank used to recover water from an engine dyno. The pump sits for months at a time w/o being used. When we go to use it, it just hums but won't spin. If I take the pump out, spin the impeller with my hand it will then work. The first time this happened the tank was left empty for months, so I figured rust on the impeller may have jammed it. After that I started leaving the pump fully submerged in water, but the same thing happend. The water is clean city water.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is a better quality pump the solution? Or is it just sitting too long w/o use?

Thanks,
Josh

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Dayton rebrands some good pumps. I have a few without problems. But pumps like to pump not sit. Maybe a tether and a lift and drop on the pump would get it going without a spin. Take it out after a few months in the basin and see how much it takes to move the impeller. If its not "sticky" you probably have a motor issue. Maybe a ball pein hammer with a long handle....