Cut & thread chrome brass tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Chrome is a very hard material and not easy to thread. It is also likely to gall when trying.

A variation on my suggestion to thread the inside and use a close nipple, is to use a slip joint instead with epoxy. You could try sweating the joint but the heat might discolor the chrome.

Greenmountain

Reaction score
If I take it apart, the thread will be exposed and I can then at least theoretically determine what it is... but if I have to send it off to Italy or Unobtanistan to be re-threaded... well, then I should have just not messed with it. Know what I mean?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The sealant on the threaded joint may not be conventional pipe dope, so it might be really hard to take apart those T's. You won't know until you try.

It could be a metric thread, but once you've determined what it is, those tools are available. Whether it's worth it to you to buy for a one-time use, that's up to you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks