CSV and pressure tanks question

Users who are viewing this thread

Boerdoc

Reaction score
I installed a new well pump and was going to use it to fill a cistern and then pump into the house from there and use a cycle stop valve in the cistern. My plans changed and I will use the cistern for irrigation and not household water. I want to place a CSV in the well just below the pitless. What type of valve would do this. I currently have 2 pressure tanks setup one is 86 gals. and the other is 44 gals. Should I remove one and use it for the irrigation system? If so which tank should I use for the house and which should I use for the irrigation. BTW my cistern will be filled by a different well. My new pump is a 3/4 hp 5 gals min Bettaflow. My well is 480 ft deep in a 6 in. casing so I should have plenty of reserve in the well for normal household use. Correct?

Boerdoc

Reaction score
The static water level of the 480 ft. well is about 25 feet down. Last year when we were in a drought the regeneration rate was 1.1 gal/min and the water was tested for quality which was great. The other well is only 70 ft. deep and gives 2.6 gal/min during the drought, water level 15 ft. The water quality showed "minor coliform bacteria present". I am concerned about shallow ground water contamination in this well. I have already purchased the pump and csv for the cistern. So I am ready to go when spring comes for irrigation. Which of the two pressure tanks should I use for this one? I prefer to keep the shallower well separate from the household. I am open to any suggestions.

Which csv should I get for the 480 ft. well below the pitless.(There is one frost-free hydrant inline before the pressure tank that will be used for watering a small 20x20 ft. garden. Minor watering not major irrigation like 1 acre of lawn.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That pump will only produce about 3 GPM from 380' and 50 PSI. So you won't be able to take advantage of water stored below 380'. However, you will be able to use about 530 gallon of water stored in the well above the 380'. This should be plenty for a house, especially with a 1.1 GPM recharge rate. When the pump first starts out with the water level at 25', the pump builds 220 PSI, which is too much back pressure for the plastic CSV. You would need to use a CSV1W, that can handle that pressure and will fit inside the well. They come preset at 60 PSI, so you would need to screw the adjustment screw counter clockwise about 1.25 rounds to reset at 50 PSI.

A CSV1-50 should work for the cistern pump, as long as it can't build more than 150 PSI. I would use the larger tank for the house, and the smaller tank for the irrigation.

Boerdoc

Reaction score
I ordered the csv1w from Bob at Pumps and tanks. What settings should I use for the presssure tank? Why should I reset to 50 psi? Advantages? Thanks for the help.
Kent

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You have plenty of pump to leave the valve set at 60 PSI if you want. When used with a 44 gallon tank, you would then want your pressure switch set at about 45/65. I think you will like the 60 PSI. However, when using 3 GPM or more, and the water level drops below 340', the pressure will be lower than 60 PSI, because your pump can't produce that much. With a little math, you can even tell the water level in the well by the GPM and pressure. You would need a larger pump if you want to maintain 60 PSI, if you want to be able to utilize all the storage in the well down to 480'.

Boerdoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I look forward to completing the install this weekend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks