Croaking animal type sound coming from water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Heffman92

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is for sure coming from the hot water heater as I can't pinpoint where it's directly coming from, but I've isolated it to the area of the water heater and seems to be coming from underneath in a pipe or somewhere I can't shine a flashlight into. But the noise as best as I can describe it, sounds like a frog, but not like a normal frog sound. More like if you were to air your mouths cheeks up, and make a slow farting noise with your mouth lol. I know that's ridiculous and I'm sorry but I can't figure out if this is an animal making this noise or what. It comes and goes randomly. I figured through the long cold winter we had that if it was a salamander or frog of some sort that it would've died, but now that the weathers getting warm again it's picked back up. It's so incredibly annoying and just wondered if anybody had any insight on this because I'm beyond stumped. Water heater works just fine and everything.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water heaters and pipes sometimes make noises. How old is your WH? Have you ever flushed it?

Some noises are due to mineral deposits and mineral rock in the tank.

Best to get a plumber to check things.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Too many unknowns
Gas or Electric
On a well or municipal system
How old is the heater
Tank ever serviced

As dj2 mentioned ... sediment on the bottom of the tank creates reactions with the system which in turn create "noises".

OR ... As you imply .... perhaps you just have an unknown creature.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A related question--I recently fired up a sealed combustion condensing gas tank water heater that I installed, Westinghouse WGR060NG076. I find that when it calls for heat, the inducer fan starts off at a low rpm and the system makes a low wah-wah rumbly sound (maybe 3 Hz). As the inducer fan speeds up, the frequency of the wah-wah increases until it smooths out into a low purr. [I might need to make a recording if my textual description is inadequate.]

Everything seems to work fine. So I'm wondering if the startup noise is a sign of some problem, like debris in the intake or exhaust ports. Or maybe it is just a harmless side effect of some detail of the installation, like the resonant frequency of some length of intake/exhaust piping constrained between two points happens to match the inducer fan initial speed. The latter I guess I can easily check for and deal with.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks