Cracked Brine Tube - Repair or Replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tonyscarface

Reaction score
When the salt level went down it exposed a 1/2" X 4" crack on the brine tube approximately 6" from the bottom. The piece was lying in the salt. Can I patch this hole and if yes, with what food-safe tape/epoxy/other material? A new tube is too costly.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Assuming your brine tube OD is 3/8", then I expect a 3/8" compression coupling should work. With plastic tubing, I prefer replacing the brass compression sleeves with plastic Delrin sleeves as they will be less likely to cut into the plastic tubing.

3/8" Compression coupling

Plastic Delrin Sleeves

Alternately, a John Guest Quick Connect coupling may also be suitable.

John Guest Coupling

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that your crack is in the rigid tube that is part of the Brine Pick Up Tube with Air Check assembly.

Tonyscarface

Reaction score
Reach4 - That is correct. It is the 4" plastic tube inside the tank. It has the float assembly. I've seen it referred to as the tank brine well and a few other names. I need a safe (water contact) method to patch it. Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ahh... the brine well. You could cut maybe a "half pipe" from some 4 inch plastic pipe, and just lay that against the tube-- held in place by the salt pressing, or lash that pipe piece lightly with a couple of nylon ties.

Brine wells have not always been used, but maybe that was for brine tanks that did not have air check valves at the bottom.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks