Corroded cast iron basement floor drain with no trap. Cap? Also other issues

Users who are viewing this thread

KS99

Reaction score
I have 2 issues - capping a basement floor drain, and subsequent re-routing of A/C condensate line.

My house was built in the '50s and I have cast iron waste pipes in the basement. There is a 4" drain in the basement floor by the washer that has no trap. The walls of the pipe are extremely corroded and I can't get the grate off. Using a flashlight I can see that the pipe goes straight down about 3 feet, and the bottom of the drain has a bunch of rusty chunks of metal or something at the bottom. Sewer gases come up, as well as sewer roaches. I've also had house sewage come up when the main house waste line was clogged once, and I had a pro snake the line 60' all the way to the street from a clean-out that is about 4 feet from the floor drain, located on the side of a vertical cast iron pipe going to the floor.

The A/C condensate line drips into the floor drain via 1" pvc pipe and a circuitous route around the room. The basement floor drain is not at the lowest point in the floor, so I suppose it would only really be useful in the event of major flooding. The drain is connected to the house sanitary sewer and also an outside stairwell drain about 8 feet away through the basement back door. The back door is about 3 feet below grade.

I'd like to cap the floor drain for now. The cast iron pipe walls are so corroded that I don't think a test plug or 1-way flow plug would actually make a good seal. I figure in a flooding emergency I could either uncap the floor drain or open the back door to the outside drain. I'm not sure what a good long-term solution would be, considering the pipe is so terribly corroded. I worry that the length of the pipe is similarly corroded and may one day collapse at any point along its length to the street. At first I thought I should add a trap, but now I wonder if the pipe needs to be replaced? How can I cap this drain?

If I cap the floor drain, then I would need to re-route the condensate line to drain somehow to either the utility sink or to the washing machine's standpipe? (or something?) The standpipe has an un-capped Y branch coming out the top. I wonder if that was originally intended for the condensate line? It's too high for the condensate line, tho. Where/how can I reroute the condensate line?

Thanks!

Attachments

• corroded pipe.png
    corroded pipe.png
    134 KB · Views: 685
  • junk in pipe1.png
    junk in pipe1.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 557
  • standpipe1.png
    standpipe1.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 491
  • drain cover stuck 1.png
    drain cover stuck 1.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 502

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If the condensate line gets too long in the horizontal part of the run, it will eventually fill with algae and plug up but an annual flush with a garden hose would all that is needed. Just do not connect the condensate line directly to a waste pipe, there must be a air gap so just running it to the utility sink is fine. Should use a condensate trap in your situation if there isn't one. AC condensate pumps can be used if the line must be run up and over. Sold most everywhere.

shopping
charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc027010800hd-64_145.jpg

The wye at the washing machine drain is for a clean out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks