Copper stained toilet flapper...?

Users who are viewing this thread

migraine

Reaction score
OK, this is a new one for me... does anyone know how/why this happens and/or do I need to warn my customer about an issue with the copper pipes.
Pipes were redone in the last 5-10 years. They water leaves nasty hard water stains. PH is 0.1 and 180ppm. City replaced the water lines(lead was a high probability of why and installed a meter, IMO) around 5 years ago.
thanks, Brian.

toilet flapper.jpg

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
PH is 0.1 and 180ppm
Do you mean 10? A pH of 1.0 would be undiluted hydrochloric acid.

Ten is high, so if the pH is 10, the pH wouldn't be the cause of the green deposits. 180ppm is pretty hard but not ridiculously so (suggestions are to soften about the 150-170 range).

I think a full water analysis would be a good idea.

John

migraine

Reaction score
Do you mean 10? A pH of 1.0 would be undiluted hydrochloric acid.

Ten is high, so if the pH is 10, the pH wouldn't be the cause of the green deposits. 180ppm is pretty hard but not ridiculously so (suggestions are to soften about the 150-170 range).

I think a full water analysis would be a good idea.

John
Sorry... I meant 9.1 PH The 180PPM is lower than I expected but the ring it leaves is as if it's a way higher PPM.
I did take the TDS at the kitchen sink, I should have done this at toilet/sink in the bathroom where that flapped lived. I'll be there Monday so I retest then.
Thanks for your response/time.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
city replaced what water lines due to lead? is that somehow related or just a side comment? I suppose a bunch of flux coulda got in the pipes or dead legs perhaps unsoluable flux as well. wild guessing . wouldnt hurt to test and compare those results to the ones that the utility provides. and if you are really curious test a neighbors water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks