Connecting to 5-inch pipe-- advice for where to get fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

JG307

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed, search engines have a hell of a time with numbers apparently. I'm tying into an existing drain line that is 5" nominal schedule 40/80. I quickly discovered this is a hard-to-find size. I did find some PVC tees of that diameter, but since this is a drain, I'm looking for a wye. I've seen a few online... for $400. That's not happening.

The new pipe (3") is coming in at 90 degrees about 2ft above the old pipe (5") so I have some play with how to approach, but I'm at a loss for fittings. Does anyone have any idea where to find a 5" wye that's not $400? Or is there a way I can make the tee work that I'm just not seeing? How would you proceed?

Thanks,
John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know of a substitute for a 5 inch wye unless you find a combi laying around you can snap the 45 portion off. otherwise the solutions get even more micky mouse from there. call a half doesn't supply houses maybe find a deal hell ebay if you are lucky

JG307

Reaction score
If we're getting micky-mouse about it, it would be better to use the tee for a direction change in the same horizontal plane, rather than use the tee to go from vertical to horizontal, right?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't like either and your talking 3 inch so I'm guessing w/c's are involved? wow this isn't good. Is this a single family home? you sure its not 4 inch? I've only used 5 inch a handful of times or less

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks