Connecting poly to jet pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmartin9199

Reaction score
Replacing a horizontal twin pipe jet pump using plastic barbed fittings. Would I be better off threading the fittings into the pump and then heating the pipe to connect or insert the fittings into the pipe with a rubber mallet without heating and then thread the fittings to the pump (clamping afterwards in both cases)? Thanks.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would avoid using plastic barb fittings. They are prone to deformation that can create a suction leak.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as water is running through them they don't get hot. But a stuck pressure switch, a suction leak, low water level, or many other things can cause a lack of flow and plastic fittings will melt and make the problem even worse.

Jmartin9199

Reaction score
As long as water is running through them they don't get hot. But a stuck pressure switch, a suction leak, low water level, or many other things can cause a lack of flow and plastic fittings will melt and make the problem even worse.
Something I was curious about..If I had a vacuum leak on the suction side at the pump connection would I most likely have water leaking there when the pump is idle?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If I had a vacuum leak on the suction side at the pump connection would I most likely have water leaking there when the pump is idle?
No, not necessarily. Consider a perfect vacuum as being around 14 PSI of external (atmospheric) pressure. A plastic fitting can deform (shrink) under vacuum causing the leak but expand under pressure, sealing it from leaking pressure. Also, air molecules are smaller than water molecules so can fit through smaller spaces.

Seaweeds

Reaction score
I use a lot of poly and dip the end into hot water to soften it up. Safest way to do that. Fitting can screw on first (best) or after insertion. Just don't tighten the clamp yet so fitting can rotate inside poly while tightening.

Jmartin9199

Reaction score
I use a lot of poly and dip the end into hot water to soften it up. Safest way to do that. Fitting can screw on first (best) or after insertion. Just don't tighten the clamp yet so fitting can rotate inside poly while tightening.
My pipes come out of the ground at a 45 so can't really dip in hot water. I plan to heat both at the same time by blowing hair dryers inside the end of each pipe (2 minutes seems good in my experimenting) and then having someone push the end of the pump to insert fittings while I hold the pipes stiff. If that doesn't work I'll insert the fittings into the pipes first. Look good?

Attachments

• DSC02890 (2).JPG
    DSC02890 (2).JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 112

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I suppose a hair dryer would be slow but would do in a pinch. I use a heat gun if in a location that has easy access to power otherwise I use a propane torch. You can tell when the poly is getting too hot as it gets a surface shine on it and/or the burrs on the cut edge start to round off.

In tight spaces I insert the barb first and then thread it into the port afterwards. Wait for the poly to cool some before tightening the jubilee clamps. It should be cool enough after you're done tightening the threads

Jmartin9199

Reaction score
I suppose a hair dryer would be slow but would do in a pinch. I use a heat gun if in a location that has easy access to power otherwise I use a propane torch. You can tell when the poly is getting too hot as it gets a surface shine on it and/or the burrs on the cut edge start to round off.

In tight spaces I insert the barb first and then thread it into the port afterwards. Wait for the poly to cool some before tightening the jubilee clamps. It should be cool enough after you're done tightening the threads
I ended up heating both pipes at the same time for 2 minutes with two hair dryers on low. With an assistant I was able to get the pipes fully seated but it required a bit of effort. If I did it again that way I would heat for 3 minutes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks