Connecting a pump to a home faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

WarrickF

Reaction score
I have a garden which is quite far from my house. About 600 ft up a very steep hill. I purchased 6 x 100 ft garden hoses and connected them to an outside faucet but the water only made it about 400 ft up the hill.

I'd like to purchase this pump ( http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-utility-pump-65836.html
), connect it to the facet and give it a boost.

I don't know if this will damage the home plumbing in any way though? Can someone give me some advice on the matter please?

Thanks
Warrick

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT cannot damage anything in the house, but you say the garden is 600' high and that pump will only pump 110' high, (and at that point it will not give out any water).

WarrickF

Reaction score
IT cannot damage anything in the house, but you say the garden is 600' high and that pump will only pump 110' high, (and at that point it will not give out any water).

The total distance that I'm running the Hose is 600 ft. I'm not sure what the elevation difference between the base and the top of the hill is.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You lose about 0.4 pounds of pressure for every foot you go up from the source. THen, there's the friction in the hose moving the water that far that will drop the pressure even more when it is flowing (there's no flow pressure drop (friction) when there's no flow so it would be one pressure static, and a different one when water is flowing). So, without a good estimate of the height rise and the starting pressure, it would be hard to estimate what pump would be adequate for your needs.

The only time adding an inline pump would cause problems is if you were trying to pump more water than the lines could support. There's a limit on how fast the water can move through pipes before it starts to create problems, and that depends on the pipe diameter.