Condensation in Flue

Users who are viewing this thread

Skier2

Reaction score

Flue Condensation​

renderTimingPixel.png

I had an 80% 70k Payne gas induced draft single stage furnace installed two years ago, it replaced an old 80% 75k Lennox natural draft furnace . There is a gas water heater with a y pipe and both go into a shared 6" b-vent after a few feet.

It's fine when I am here and have the heat set around 70 degrees, but when I leave in Jan I turn the heat down to 55 and shut off the water heater, at times condensation will form in the b-vent and flow down the flue to the cap end of the flue and it's causing corrosion. The b-vent is about 25 ft and through an unheated attic and into a roof cap.

I measured the furnace air temp rise and it measures 60 which is at the upper end of the recommended range. I also measured the stack temperature at the furnace at 265. I have never observed any short cycling.

I called the company that put in the furnace, explained the situation and they gave me a chimney guy to call and mentioned insulating the flue. I know you can't wrap b-vent, so I am holding off calling him.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20221219_152716145.jpg
    IMG_20221219_152716145.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 77

Fitter30

Reaction score

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
One appliance is induced and the other is nat draft? How is this not smothering you? Do you have a co detector?

Skier2

Reaction score
B vent is to large for 70k furnace and 34k water heater. fan power flue on furnace decreases the size needed. Normally stack temp runs 300° - 400°. If your using nat gas can clock the meter to see what the furnace is using.
Thanks. I'm going to have a different HVAC company's maintenance folks come out and see what adjustment they can make.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks