Condensation appearing as leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

enochian

Reaction score
I changed the kitchen basket strainer.

After 14 hours with the water OFF, I see slight moisture around the rubber gasket

I don't see how this is physically possible considering the water has been OFF for 14 hours and I know it was dry the previous day.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Which type of basket strainer did you install? What type of sink, cast iron, stainless steel? Was putty or silicone used to seal the basket strainer body to the sink? Under the sink the rubber is touching the sink with a friction washer between the rubber and the nut?

Highly unlikely that condensation would form ONLY at the sealing surface of the basket strainer and not on any other point.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only reason I could think that you're seeing moisture at that location is if there happened to be a drip of water when the washer was placed. Since the source is still unknown, how I would suggest verifying either where its coming from or that it has stopped is to use tissue paper to dab it completely dry. Then place a full paper towel sheet over the top of the drain and wedging or tying some toilet paper at the location you spotted the drip. Paper towels / tissue will show any moisture right away and you can see it. If its an errant drip from the faucet, it will show on the towel, if its residual water from the basket strainer it will only show on the tissue paper if at all. If no water shows up on either, then I think we would assume it was an errant one off drip.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks