Clearance for closet bend

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Is 9 3/4" inches from the top of the subfloor to the cement slab underneath sufficient space for a closet bend?

Thank You

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks like it to me. This is a 3x4 closet bend with a spigot input. This one has the input the same size as a 4 inch pipe, and can accept an outside or inside 4-inch closet flange. You might consider a compression 4 inch closet flange. No gluing makes for easy do-overs.

index.php

This one has a hub. I think you would need to glue in a spigot closet flange, and you need to get it right the first time.
This one has a hub on top:
index.php

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Thanks, Reach
I neglected to indicate that the joists run parallel with the drain.

A more important question is how much joist space is required for a shower drain?

Thank you again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, Reach
I neglected to indicate that the joists run parallel with the drain.
Sounds desirable.
A more important question is how much joist space is required for a shower drain?
Are you considering using a closet bend for a shower drain, or is that a different project? Normally under a shower you use a 2-inch p-trap.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
No sir. Want to use a 2x2 trap for the shower and a 4x3 closet bend for the toilet.
Looked at some diagrams for Charlotte pipe products, and it looks like a closet bend is about 4" tall and a shower trap is around 7".
That would give me enough clearance in the joist bay, although, a little tight. Have to run the drainpipe about 8 feet where it enters the crawlspace.
The bathroom is being built in a garage, that has a slab 8 inches below the house interior flooring

Does that seem correct to you?

Reach4

Reaction score
North Carolina use IPC 2015. Out of the shower trap you can go as much as 8 ft sloping 1/4 inch per foot, which is a 2 inch fall, before you hit the vent. That distant starts at the output of the U.