What is this? Chrome cover over bathroom sink drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

woody82

Reaction score
The pipe that goes through the wall is corroded and I want to replace it with plastic. But I've never seen this chrome piece that stubs out from the wall. What is it? Is it just a chrome cover or is it part of the drain pipe. Anyone seen this before? And any idea how it comes off? Thanks.
drain pipe wall fitting (Small).jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its called a high box flange escutcheon , prettys things up, kinda seals off the wall just pull it away from wall with hand and a big nut is under neath to take trap arm off

woody82

Reaction score
Hey thank you Jeff! I searched "high box flange escutcheon" and, sure enough, there were pictures of exactly what I have. I was getting nowhere searching for "chrome covered pipe." Well now I have the confidence to cut out all that gap filler foam and pull off the escutcheon.
I'm going to replace the trap and arm with plastic...and then not put back the escutcheon. I think a neat application of joint compound will look better than all the foam blobs that surround the escutcheon.
Thank you again!
--Frank

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks