Checking pressure tank charge

Users who are viewing this thread

BassChashew

Reaction score
HI.

Noticed the pump turning on/off frequently and noticed inconsistent water pressure in the house.
So followed instructions to check pressure tank charge.
https://www.watertechonline.com/home/article/15529489/troubleshooting-a-bladder-pressure-tank

1. turned off power to pump
2. drained water out of tank
3. check the pressure from the tank with my tire pressure gauge.

it is ZERO. So, I'm a novice....
I brought the compressor to the attic and added air... still ZERO.
I decided to turn the well power back on... my tire pressure gauge went up to 70lbs PSI.
but of course, water was starting to fill back up. I drained air back to 30lbs, but that's with the pump on.

I don't know how to see how much air is in the tank when the pump power is off. air is in there, it's makes the pfft sound when I apply the gauge or my fingernail, but it won't register a pressure amount.

PSP35-T05-01 Berkeley Plus Premium Steel Pressure Tank (35 Gallons, PSP Series)

it's set at the 30/60 range, and the water gauge seems accurate, It just goes from 30 to 60 real fast with the showers/hoses running.

any thoughts???

thanks dude/ets!!!
-BassCashew

Reach4

Reaction score
Which of my symptoms indicate the tank it's holding air or the bladder is bad?
This one:
it is ZERO. So, I'm a novice....
I brought the compressor to the attic and added air... still ZERO.
Your tank has failed.

I decided to turn the well power back on... my tire pressure gauge went up to 70lbs PSI.
but of course, water was starting to fill back up. I drained air back to 30lbs, but that's with the pump on.
That was a bad move. A tank with water pressure will always read at least as much at the Schrader valve as the water pressure. For temporary use until you fix things, you should leave that air inside or add a little more. So if the air pressure went up to 70, raise it to maybe 80. You can limp along like this for a bit, but the air will dissolve into the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks