Check valve after pressure tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

creamcheese742

Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question, but we have had some issues with our soda ash feed and I think this would solve it but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Our well has a lot of iron in it. When we have had work done to the submersible pump it's caked onto the tubing. We have had to replace the check valve twice, although I don't think we really needed to do it the second time since I think something just got stuck in it. Our issue is that when that does happen (and our soda ash pump is working properly) the tank looses pressure and drains back into the well, taking along with it the soda ash. It pumps back up feeding more soda ash into the system and then drains back into the well taking the soda ash again.

It has happened a couple of times and each time we have to run the well for about 2 or 3 hours before getting the water back to a more stable pH and not upwards past 9 or 10. There were a couple of times that it did that and we were home so I was able to stop it in time and I let it all drain down to zero pressure before starting it back up and that must've unlogged what was there because it got back up to pressure and held it.

We just got a new pump so the soda ash should work all the time now, but if the check valve by the pump get clogged again my fear is that if no one is home we could pump upwards of 20 gallons of soda ash into the well. I thought of putting a second check valve after the pressure tank so that if the one in the well gets clogged the soda ash won't get flushed down into the well. I'm redoing all the piping in that room from the pressure tank through the treatment system and just wanted to get some insight on if this would work or if anyone else has had similar issues.

Thanks and sorry for the long post,
Jon

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There is no problem having a check valve or two AFTER the pressure tank. You could even use an RPZ. This has a double check and a drain between them. It would flush out the drain in the RPZ instead of going back down the well if the first check in the RPZ failed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks