Changed my water pump now sediment filter needs changing every other day.

Users who are viewing this thread

KFBSP

Reaction score
Hello all, My first post.
A little info: I have owned my house for the past 6 months. Moved from the city to the country. We have a Well system, with a single-stage pump to multiple filters water softener and UV light.

We decided to change our pump as the past pump has been struggling, making weird noises etc. We've changed to the same horsepower pump different manufacturer. We've noticed that our water pressure was low so we checked the sediment filter and it was orange and full of dirt. I thought this was strange as we've just changed the filter. Changed to a new filter and the same issue plugged with dirt in two days.

Normally we change the sediment filter bi-monthly and now this a daily event. Our concerns are, this just started when we changed the pump. (Licence plumber came in). The only difference that the plumber made was changing the pressure switch to open at 30psi and shut off at 50psi. The older pump was set to 20/40. He also made sure that the pressure tank was set 2psi below the cut-in pressure.

I guess my question is: would you think I might have a bad foot valve strainer to allow this dirt to flow up now? Or any suggestions on why this is happening now with a new same horsepower pump.

Thanks in advance
KB

Attachments

• well filter.jpg
    well filter.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 224

Reach4

Reaction score
Tell us about your pump. Maybe post a photo of the pump if it is above ground. Include the line from the well in your picture. If it is down the well (submersible), it is unlikely to be a single stage pump.

What I suggest is to connect a garden hose from the drain near the pressure tank outside to a ditch or other appropriate place. Turn off the pump a few times and let the pressure tank empty out. That will help get accumulated sediment out of the pressure tank. Then run water continuously for a while (hours maybe) but keep watch. If the pump runs out of water, turn off the pump, and let the well recover.

That drain spigot will tap water before the cartridge filter.

KFBSP

Reaction score
Tell us about your pump. Maybe post a photo of the pump if it is above ground. Include the line from the well in your picture. If it is down the well (submersible), it is unlikely to be a single stage pump.

What I suggest is to connect a garden hose from the drain near the pressure tank outside to a ditch or other appropriate place. Turn off the pump a few times and let the pressure tank empty out. That will help get accumulated sediment out of the pressure tank. Then run water continuously for a while (hours maybe) but keep watch. If the pump runs out of water, turn off the pump, and let the well recover.

That drain spigot will tap water before the cartridge filter.

Hi there, the pump is a Berkley Pump, it's attached to the pressure tank with another pressure tank as backup. I will attach a couple of pics. I will also try flushing the pressure tanks as well. I just find this weird happening now as the only thing we did was change the pump.

Regards
KB

berkley pump.jpg berkley pump 2.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
What you have is called a jet pump. It has a single centrifugal stage, but also has a venturi/jet to boost the pressure.

Because of a lag in the jet producing pressure, often the precharge is set to about 5 psi below the cut-in pressure. If you get a pressure stutter when the pump comes on, reduce precharge air a bit.

Did your foot valve get pulled during the changes?

KFBSP

Reaction score
What you have is called a jet pump. It has a single centrifugal stage, but also has a venturi/jet to boost the pressure.

Because of a lag in the jet producing pressure, often the precharge is set to about 5 psi below the cut-in pressure. If you get a pressure stutter when the pump comes on, reduce precharge air a bit.

Did your foot valve get pulled during the changes?

No, just the centrifugal pump, this is why I'm stumped. Somehow dirt is coming in now with the new pump

Reach4

Reaction score
How old is the pressure tank? Maybe this was the first time the pressure tank had been really empty for a while.

Also, maybe the new pump has higher flow, and that stirred up things in the well.

It looks like the first of your cartridge filter housings is empty. That could catch the heaviest stuff maybe.

KFBSP

Reaction score
How old is the pressure tank? Maybe this was the first time the pressure tank had been really empty for a while.

Also, maybe the new pump has higher flow, and that stirred up things in the well.

It looks like the first of your cartridge filter housings is empty. That could catch the heaviest stuff maybe.

Hi there, not sure about the pressure tanks age as we just moved in about 6 months ago. I would like to have 1 tank compared to 2. This will be our next investment. We took out the smaller sediment filter as it was getting plugged after a day. I decided to use the bigger sediment filter just for ease. Once our water store opens up after holidays will purchase a few more, as we have gone through 2 filters already.

I'm hoping that the dirt issue will ease as of now but its been 5 days since the new pump has been installed.

Thanks for your help on this

KB

Reach4

Reaction score
How about post #2 actions?

No drain valve? Does your outside hose spigot water go through the filters?

KFBSP

Reaction score
a great idea my outside spigots do not go through the water filters. Should I try flushing the system?

Reach4

Reaction score
a great idea my outside spigots do not go through the water filters. Should I try flushing the system?
I think yes, including letting the pressure tanks go empty a few times. I would play the hose into a bucket to see if crud comes out during that.

KFBSP

Reaction score
I think yes, including letting the pressure tanks go empty a few times. I would play the hose into a bucket to see if crud comes out during that.
Thanks, I will flush the system and let you know of the results

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks