Centrifugal pump not coming on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassadict69

Reaction score
I am running a centrifugal pump to pump water from a lake to irrigate my yard. When kicking the pump on manually using the irrigation timer, the pump start relay clicks and I do have power to the wiring at the pump according to my test light...anything else to check with the pump? Or does it just sound like my pump has died?

WorthFlorida

New chemo regiment started Aug 20th.
Solutions
Reaction score
Does the pump run at all when using a timed irrigation program. I suspect it does not. Is it 120v or 240v motor? What model motor?

Turn off the breaker for the pump. Either a 120 or 240 volt breaker. Unscrew and remove the rear cover on the pump to inspect the wiring. Look for any burned or cut wires. A test light only proves there is power present. If it is 240 volt you have two hots and one leg could be dead (open). Burned contacts at the start relay could cause one leg to open.

Does the motor get hot at all when power is on? Seized bearings will lock the rotor and all motors have a lock rotor rating so as not to catch on fire. Usually you will not hear anything. I had a pool pump seized and had no idea until I noticed the water didn't look clear and when I checked the pump, the motor was very hot. It did not trip the breaker.

Most pump motors have start and or run capacitors and when they go bad the motor may not start if the run cap is bad. Some motors have a set of centrifugal contacts at the back of the motor. When the motor spins up it disconnects the start capacitor. It also can prevent the motor from running. Plenty of youtube videos on what a bad start cap looks like. You'll see oil or the cap is swollen, depending on the type.

Please be careful checking the voltage at the motor. Remember you're on damp ground and a short to a hot lead can be deadly.

Bassadict69

Reaction score
Sorry, I did not get a notice about this reply... I found out the pump start relay was bad. I replaced the relay inside the box and it works perfectly now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks