Canning sink in basement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
In our basement we have a utility sink right off the main 3"stack with a 1.5" fitting and trap. The trap is a few inches off the floor and I have a long tail piece on the sink. About 3 ft away I would like to put in a sink that will be like a normal kitchen sink but about a foot below normal counter level for dealing with tall pots and such. There also is a plan to have a dishwasher to sanitize jars.

I figure I have 2 options for drains.:

1: and my favorite is to put a small receiver of some sort on the trap and let the two sinks and dishwasher drain free air into it like in a restaurant food prep area. This air gap would prevent any backups from getting back into the food sink and keep the food drain separate from the utility sink that gets things like cleaning the cat box and such.

2: Put a trap on each sink and drain them into the main stack. Route the DW threw an air gap into the food sink drain. Properly venting the second sink would be a pain in the setup. Current utility sink is wet vented from the main stack or the upstairs laundry room depending on how you look at it. The inspector is fine with the current vent set up.

Here is a shot looking down at the back of the utility sink. The CI stack is now 3" PVC from the top of the "T" with the old washer stand pipe on up. The new sink would be to the lower left of this pic.
attachment.php

What are your thoughts on this set up?
Thank you.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
There is no separate dedicated vent for this utility sink. The main stack and the 2" to the laundry room both act as the vent. The main stack is 3" all the way to the roof and right above this section ,not in photo, is the 2" drain from the kitchen sink (with its own 2" roof vent) takes off. The building inspector was fine with it that way. The existing sink drains VERY well and the trap has never been siphoned dry. The water in the trap does not even move when the washer drains or the toilet gets flushed.

When I had the rest of the house open I talked to the inspector about needing a dedicated vent and he did not see the need because I had 2 or 3 separate vent paths already threw existing pluming.

That is why I am leaning towards some sort of drain receptacle just above the existing trap and letting every thing else down stairs drain to it threw an air gap. This is similar to how I have seen many food prep sinks in restaurants. The sinks have no trap and drain to a floor drain. The sink tubular just stops a few inches above the floor drain. The floor drain is usually a large square box and some times has a strainer in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks