Can Someone Explain this Extra Sink Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Skoby

Reaction score
The drain on the left was used for my kitchen sink. The drain to the right was capped off when I moved in.

I'm not sure why the drain to the right is there. I was going to cap it off in the wall.

I'm assuming the pipe coming up from the floor is a vent for downstairs plumbing so I should leave that?

I'm curious what the drain on the right could have been for. I'm not a plumber so I wanted to ask here. Thanks

20180822_114026.jpg

Treeman

Reaction score
Is there any chance that they ran a dishwasher into a separate drain as shown in this pic below:
main-qimg-58797e2447cd2b5f283c2083ecf6e5bd-c

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been roughing kitchen sinks in at 16" to keep up with the new 10" deep kitchen sinks.
The drain on the right might have been for a dishwasher. You can cap that and use the disposer for a drain if you like.

sink_dw.jpg

Skoby

Reaction score
I'm on a septic tank so I don't run a disposer. I don't run a dishwasher either because I live alone and would rarely use it.

If I run a dishwasher in the future can I just run a tailpiece under the sink or do I need an air gap installed also? I didn't have an air gap in my old residence, I didn't know they were needed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can run a tee from below the sink basket.
The reason they have an air gap is to prevent water from draining back to your dishwasher. Some dishwashers have a high loop built in, and some don't. I've seen dishwashers fill with murky water between uses, really smelly water. This was cured by using an air-gap on the drain.