Can I use a standard pan with this drain position?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lucky

Reaction score
X marks the spot in the pic that is 2 inches from the joist . this is a 42 x 42 stall. the X is at the 21 x 21 spot. can i use a standard 42 x 42 pan. something like this? newbie trying to determine if it will be relatively easy to drop in a standard pan. i dont wanna work with mud/tile etc. i realize the base has to be leveled with feet or shims or whatever the instructions call for.

also i already cut the drain out at the closest pipe position as i had to lay a temp board on top to continue to pull all the nails from the wall etc. deciding if its worth doing this again as the shower i ripped out or just building a closet. everything is predicated on this pan being ez to do.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DreamLine-...2-in-W-x-42-in-L-with-Center-Drain/1000463293

Attachments

• 20200627_140453.jpg
    20200627_140453.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 20200627_140529.jpg
    20200627_140529.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 151

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some shower pans have a molded in drain 3.5" wide. That means 1.75" to center.

Your p-trap looks wrong though. The vent comes from the top, not below the p-trap.

ventingsaniteevswye45orcombo.jpg

jackrabbit-07.jpg

Lucky

Reaction score
how do you know what drain to buy for which pan? for example in the above linked pan it says:

The drain opening is 3-3/8” in diameter and accepts a
standard 2” compression fitted drain

so i went to lowes site https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=2+inch+shower+drain

but i dont know how to pick what drain would go with that pan.

and if the drain opening in the above example is 3 3/8 does that mean since i have 2 inches between the center of my shower and the joist that it would work?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks