Can I reduce flush volume in Toto Drake CST 776 so it is less than 1.28 gpf?

Users who are viewing this thread

FrizzyLizzie

Reaction score
I need a low flush toilet, that is not a dual flush, for a cottage on an island, where volume is critical since we use sewage holding tanks. If I need a second sewage pumpout during the summer, it's over $1,000. I am replacing Toto Aquias that do not winter well in unheated buildings at -20 F, or else they have just been less than stellar performers. In spite of repeated flush and fill valves replacements (water will continuously leak into bowl) necessitating the water be shut off at the floor tap immediately after each flush.

Toto recommended CST776CEFG, which is a 1.28 gpf. The Aquia is 0.8/1.28. I am trying to get closer to 0.8gpf.

Toto said I could use a universal fill valve to reduce the flush volume. 1) Any experience with doing that? 2) Can I adjust the fill valve that comes in this Drake to achieve a flush volume of 1 gpf and still get good flush performance?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You could add two bricks to the tank to reduce water usage.

You could also use a plastic container, such as a Taster's Choice jar, that you weight down with gravel and water.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Reaches suggestion is an easy thing to try. Is this a rental or used only by you?

I am replacing Toto Aquias that do not winter well in unheated buildings at -20 F, or else they have just been less than stellar performers. In spite of repeated flush and fill valves replacements (water will continuously leak into bowl) necessitating the water be shut off at the floor tap immediately after each flush.
-20 F? Does not winter well? With no heat, all the water lines must be blown out with compressed air. That alone will not guarantee completely dry line's especially the fill valves In the tank.

It happened to me one time, one toilet would auto fill about every five minutes. After a week's effort replacing everything, the mistake I made was the fill tube was inside the overflow tube below the maximum Fill Line. This caused a siphon effect. The real kicker was it was right there in the instruction. The fill tube should be on a clip to hold it above the water line.

Toto said I could use a universal fill valve to reduce the flush volume. 1) Any experience with doing that? 2) Can I adjust the fill valve that comes in this Drake to achieve a flush volume of 1 gpf and still get good flush performance?
There is a balancing act between the tank and bowl. The bowl may whole .8 gal or a little less. On the flush the bowl needs to fill over the hight of its trap way to create a siphon to empty the bowl. You can see how much water is needed. Using a quart bottle full of water slowly pour water into the bowl, it will start to drain a bit but once the level gets high enough the bowl level will drop when the siphon starts. This would be you absolute minimum by how much water you poured in.

1691486986616.jpeg

Korky makes or made a universal flapper that you adjust on how soon the flapper closes. I found it made no difference. The simplest thing to try is adjust the fill valve to lower the hight of the tank water level but as I stated, there is a balance. The get a good flush is how fast the water drops from the tank. The latest no longer use a flapper but a cylinder like device that lifts up to allow rapid water volume to drop quickly.

Why I asked is this a rental or not. I grew up with three sisters, mom and dad and for a while one bathroom. Our home was at the lowest elevation of the subdivision. Most homes used cesspools, not septic tank and field. The problem was the water table was very high whereby the cesspool would not empty into the ground, therefore the tank, had to be pumped out once or twice a year. For there was a golden rule, no flushing for liquids only, only the second user could flush. It wasn't to about 1975-79 that sewers were installed.

IMG_1021.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
flush every other use will cut use in half put paper in garbage can Like our freinds south of the border do

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks