Can I locate PEX plumbing lines above HVAC/Furnace system?

Users who are viewing this thread

KSdoit

Reaction score
I have space in the ceiling cavity area directly above my HVAC system (furnace & AC) in my basement to run new PEX/plumbing lines, and I would like to run my PEX lines that need to cross from one side of my basement to the other side in this open area that is directly above the HVAC system. Will locating them there be prevented by building code (perhaps because a leak would run down into the HVAC system)? If building code restricts this, what are the general distance restrictions related to plumbing lines above or near HVAC systems? Thank you.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
PEX itself has no particular clearance issues except practical things related to say, a hot vent pipe and plenum from an old furnace.
For a 90%+ condensing furnace with plastic pipe vent those vent pipes never get hot. Heating ducts themselves depends upon facts of pipe materials and quality of insulation and R value.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks