Can I install a compact front load washer in the place of the dishwasher?

Users who are viewing this thread

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Standpipe requirements can vary depending on the code. You have to do what your code says

A few years ago the NC plumbing code was amended to allow standpipes less than 34 inches mostly for under counter clothes washers. Before the change builders would install the drain at the required height which would be above the counter. After all inspections were done, most times they would be lowered below the counter height. A local politician was determined to get this changed because his wife wanted an under-counter washer and dryer and he did not want to fudge the rule.

Here is part of how it reads now:
802.4 Standpipes……………The standpipe shall extend 34 inches (864 mm) minimum above the base of the clothes washer unless recommended otherwise by the manufacturer.

EricE

Reaction score
Another thing that I have hard time understanding is how if I hook the hose to drain in the sink would be different than if I make a direct connection to the drain pipe of the sink. It is still the same drain pipes.

This is the crux of the issue. Your washer ejects a certain gallon per minute, and to ensure that all the water goes down the drain safely instead of backing up and overflowing all over the interior of your house it requires a pipe with a minimum diameter to ensure sufficient water flow.

Which you don't have for the washer you now own.

Draining the washer into the sink can work because as others have pointed out, the sink acts as a buffer - the water that can't get down the drain fast enough can back up into the sink (instead of the floor) thus giving the drain sufficient time to drain the water out. Unfortunately for you, your sink isn't big enough to provide a sufficient amount of buffer. Even if your sink was larger, I doubt code would allow a washer to drain into a kitchen sink for sanitary reasons as others brought up.

That's pretty much it. The washer you have has too powerful a drain pump for the size pipes you have and your location doesn't offer mitigation such as draining into a sink.

The other washer can get away with a smaller diameter pipe because it's pump isn't nearly as vigorous as the pump your current washer has, so a smaller diameter pipe can accommodate the flow. However, just because the manufacturer states it will work, if local building codes have a minimum size pipe for a washer (which it sounds like is the case for your city) you still won't be able to do it.

Sometimes building codes can be a pain, but for the most part they are excellent and keep people from doing really stupid stuff. Especially in an apartment where a flood of water will affect more than just you - your building owner will be out as well as potentially your neighbors too.

If you know someone who is good in making cabinets it might be easier to put the washer in a cabinet on oversized rollers to make it easy to move and roll it into your bathroom. The bathtub should be able to handle the draining. For water supply I have the add on shower heads with the hoses - I take the shower head off the end of the hose and I found outdoor sprinkler riser pipe is the same diameter and thread pitch, so I screw a segment on the end of the hose and it works perfect for filling my humidifier bottles as well as buckets for my fish tanks. You could use such a hose to create an attachment for the washer to fill from. You wouldn't be making permanent changes to the apartment. As long as you don't forget to leave the drain in the bathtub stopped up, you shouldn't have any issues with discharge either.

The only potential downside is on wheels the washer may vibrate/walk too much when spinning. And front loaders tend to be heavy with the internal counterweights to help with vibration during the spin cycle so it may not be practical to roll either. Finally, you have to store it somewhere when not in use.

Quite frankly I think it would probably be a lot easier to find an apartment set up to accommodate a washing machine. Or see if you can convince your landlord to split the difference on retrofitting to properly support a washer (if it's even possible). You can point out it will make the unit more attractive to future renters. Of course he may realize for that reason you are now not paying enough rent too, so it can cut both ways :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
even IF you had the code, it is unlikely it would be intelligible to you, or that you would be able to find ALL the sections pertinent to your situation.

Treeman

Reaction score
On a tangent here......ToTo should at least be given credit for attempting to be his/her own advocate in seeking out the best solution by asking both professionals and diyers here.

Hiring trades people is not unlike selecting an excellent surgeon for a difficult surgery (been there/failed that). You need to be you're own advocate and educate yourself a bit. There are hack licensed professional trades people just like there are quack doctors. You cannot always trust credentials. Kudos to the pros here that promote professional ethics.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks