Can I add p-trap and AAV to a horizontal sewer line?

Users who are viewing this thread

dydx

Reaction score
Unfortunately so many things are messed up in the house I moved into last year. One of them:

Even though I never smelled sewer gas and never had any issues, it seems that the standpipe for my washer is not trapped (*). The standpipe just disappears in the wall via a few elbows and then goes straight down into the basement into a horizontal sewer line. I would like to fix this and along the way drain my HPWH condensate drain as well.

Please see the current setup along with a picture on the left. On the right, how I would want to install a part like this. As far as I know this would not be perfectly compliant because the washer should have 2". Hence I would consider building exactly the same myself out of PVC or ABS fittings.

xnDDU.jpg

Can I add a p-trap + AAV to the existing horizontal line, as shown?

Note: As far as I know AAVs are allowed where I live, but even if not, it would only improve the situation. I do not have the resources to create another vent or to connect to the vent from the BR sink. It is buried inside the wall and I do not want to open the wall.

(*) I was sticking down fishing tape with a tissue and from its length, it went approximately until the horizontal line in the basement. When I pulled it out, everything was bone-dry so I concluded there is no trap.

dydx

Reaction score
Just a bump … wondering if this post is already visible or did I anything wrong?
(Asking because I feel my question isn’t too untypical)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks